- Delivery: Can be download Immediately after purchasing
- Version: Only PDF Version.
- Compatible Devices: Can be read on any devices (Kindle, NOOK, Android/IOS devices, Windows, MAC)
- Quality: High Quality. No missing contents. Printable
[Ebook PDF] Earth Science, 14th Edition
Ideal for undergraduates with little or no science background, Earth Science provides a student-friendly overview of our physical environment that offers balanced, up-to-date coverage of geology, oceanography, astronomy, and meteorology. The authors’ texts have always been recognized for their readability, currency, dynamic art program, delivery of basic principles and instructor flexibility. The Fourteenth Edition incorporates a new active learning approach, a fully updated and mobile visual program, and MasteringGeology™—the most complete, easy-to-use, engaging tutorial and assessment tool available.
Earth Science, 14th edition, is a college-level text designed for an introductory course in Earth science. It consists of seven units that emphasize broad and up-to-date coverage of basic topics and principles in geology, oceanography, meteorology, and astronomy. The textbook is intended to be a meaningful, nontechnical survey for undergraduate students who have little background in science. Usually these students are taking an Earth science class to meet a portion of their college’s or university’s general requirements.
In addition to being informative and up-to-date, Earth Science, 14th edition, strives to meet the need of beginning students for a readable and user-friendly text and a highly usable tool for learning basic Earth science principles and concepts.
New to This Edition
• SmartFigures—art that teaches. Inside every chapter are several SmartFigures. Earth Science, 14th edition, has more than 100 of these figures. Just use your mobile device to scan the Quick Response (QR)
code next to a SmartFigure, and the art comes alive. Each 3- to 5-minute feature, prepared and narrated by Professor Callan Bentley, is a minilesson that examines and explains the concepts illustrated by the figure.
It is truly art that teaches.
• Mobile Field Trips. Scattered through this new edition of Earth Science are thirteen Mobile Field Trips. On each trip, you will accompany geologist–pilot–photographer Michael Collier in the air and on
the ground to see and learn about landscapes that relate to discussions in the chapter. These extraordinary field trips are accessed in the same way as SmartFigures. You will scan a QR code that accompanies a figure in the chapter—usually one of Michael’s outstanding photos.
• New and expanded active learning path. Earth Science, 14th edition, is designed for learning. Every chapter begins with Focus on Concepts. Each numbered learning objective corresponds to a major
section in the chapter. The statements identify the knowledge and skills students should master by the end of the chapter, helping students prioritize key concepts. Within the chapter, each major section concludes with Concept Checks that allow students to check their understanding and comprehension of important ideas and terms before moving on to the next section. Chapters conclude with sections called Give It Some Thought and Examining the Earth System. The questions and problems in these sections challenge learners by involving them in activities that require higher-order thinking skills such as application, analysis, and synthesis of material in the chapter. The questions and problems in Examining the Earth System are intended to develop an awareness of and appreciation for some of the Earth system’s many interrelationships.
• Concepts in Review. This all-new end-of-chapter feature is an important part of the text’s revised active learning path. Each review is coordinated with the Focus on Concepts at the beginning of the chapter and with the numbered sections within the chapter. It is a readable and concise overview of key ideas, which makes it a valuable review tool for students. Photos, diagrams, and questions also help students
focus on important ideas and test their understanding.
Eye on Earth. Within every chapter are two or three images, often aerial or satellite views, that challenge students to apply their understanding of basic facts and principles. A brief explanation of each
image is followed by questions that help focus students on visual analysis and critical thinking.
• GEOgraphics. As you turn the pages of each chapter, you will encounter striking visual features that we call GEOgraphics. They are engaging magazine-style “geo-essays” that explore topics that promote greater understanding and add interest to the story each chapter is telling.
• An unparalleled visual program. In addition to more than 200 new, high-quality photos and satellite images, dozens of figures are new or have been redrawn by renowned geoscience illustrator Dennis
Tasa. Maps and diagrams are frequently paired with photographs for greater effectiveness. Further, many new and revised figures have additional labels that narrate the process being illustrated and guide
students as they examine the figures. The result is a visual program that is clear and easy to understand.
• MasteringGeology™. MasteringGeology delivers engaging, dynamic learning opportunities—focused on course objectives and responsive to each student’s progress—that are proven to help students absorb
course material and understand difficult concepts. Assignable activities in MasteringGeology include Encounter Earth activities using Google Earth™, SmartFigure activities, Mobile Field Trips, GeoTutor activities, GigaPan® activities, Geoscience Animation activities, GEODe tutorial activities, and more. MasteringGeology also includes all instructor resources and a robust Study Area with resources for students.
• Significant updating and revision of content. A basic function of a college science text book is to provide clear, understandable presentations that are accurate, engaging, and up-to-date. Our number-one goal is to keep Earth Science current, relevant, and highly readable for beginning students. Every part of this text has been examined carefully with this goal in mind. Many discussions, case studies, and examples have been revised. This 14th edition represents perhaps the most extensive and thorough revision in the long history of this textbook.
• Learning Catalytics™. Learning Catalytics is a “bring your own device” student engagement, assessment, and classroom intelligence system. Learning Catalytics is a technology that has grown out of
twenty years of cutting edge research, innovation, and implementation of interactive teaching and peer instruction. Available integrated with MasteringGeology.
The language of this textbook is straightforward and written to be understood. Clear, readable discussions with a minimum of technical language are the rule. The frequent headings and subheadings help students follow discussions and identify the important ideas presented in each chapter. In this 14th edition, we have continued to improve readability by examining chapter organization and flow and by writing in a more personal style. Significant portions of several chapters have been substantially rewritten in an effort to make the material easier to understand.
Focus on Basic Principles
Although many topical issues are treated in this 14th edition of Earth Science, it should be emphasized that the main focus of this new edition remains the same as the focus of each of its predecessors: to promote student understanding of basic Earth science principles. As much as possible, we have attempted to provide the reader with a sense of the observational techniques and reasoning processes that constitute the Earth sciences.
A Strong Visual Component
Earth science is highly visual, and art and photographs play a critical role in an introductory textbook. As in all previous editions, Dennis Tasa, a gifted artist and respected geoscience illustrator, has worked closely with the authors to plan and produce the diagrams, maps, graphs, and sketches that are so basic to student understanding. The result is art that is clearer and easier to understand than ever before.
Our aim is to get maximum effectiveness from the visual component of the text. Michael Collier, an award-winning geologist–photographer aided greatly in this quest. As you read through this text, you will see dozens of his extraordinary aerial photographs. His contribution truly helps bring geology alive for the reader.